Tuesday, June 19, 2018

2018 NBA DRAFT Ratings




Draft week is upon us. I want to get right into it. After watching the playoffs and seeing big men get played right off the floor (even Embiid was kind of a minus at times), I agree with the thinkpieces that say big men are being overvalued in drafts. Think about the top 5 players in the league. Lebron, KD, AD, Harden, Steph, Kawhi if he's healthy, Giannis next. The only one that could be considered a big man is AD, but he's a freak that can do everything well. The PGs in this draft, in my opinion are not good. None of them can run a team. Except Doncic. He should be a team's starting PG a la James Harden. He's excellent. The bigs in this draft are not that impressive to me. Ayton and Bagley don't play defense and Bamba doesn't play offense. Triple J though does do both...That leaves wings. There aren't a lot of high potential wings that are currently being ranked in the top 12, but maybe one will get picked later and emerge in the right environment. Wings should be the new center. Teams should be prioritizing wings that can shoot. I think my rankings partly show that. 

Now truth be told, I watched a good amount of college hoops this year, but there are still a lot of guys I can't really give an opinion on because I didn't see them enough. I have looked at what most people are saying is the top 13 and given them my rating. Not saying they will be the best 13 because they certainly won't, but they are the guys I feel I have a good grasp on. And here they are in order.

Luka Doncic – To me, Luka Doncic is the best player in the draft and I really don’t find it that close. To be as young as he is and have the skills he possesses is extraordinary. Of course his defense is a bit Euro-y, but this guy could really play PG for a team if they let him take the reins. There’s a lot of James Harden in his game and I think he can be a top-10 player in the NBA. I think he’s the only surefire all-star in this draft and for any team to pass on him is foolish. Rating 93

Jaren Jackson Jr. – In general, I am buying the trend that teams drafting haven’t caught up to the idea that centers are overvalued. Unless you can find an Anthony Davis. There’s none of those in this draft, but JJJ could be a slightly on sale version of Chris Bosh. He’s already a pretty good outside shooter and he blocked shots in college. None of the other 3 bigs of Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba can do both. That’s why I like Jackson. He can fit into any team without the team having to alter how it plays. He can switch on defense, which is also hugely important and he has length. I personally would take triple J at 2 ahead of these other guys. Rating 86

Michael Porter Jr – I would have to say the biggest range of outcomes belongs to Michael Porter Jr. He could be the next Jayson Tatum or he could be what Harry Giles is right now, which is prematurely injured and most likely not gonna make it. I wouldn’t put too much stock into those two games he played in Missouri, but I watched him in high school and really liked what I saw. Guy’s a total alpha. Now I know Bob dropped a #BobBomb last week and we found out the really huge news that he "wasn't well liked" in high school, but I'm not gonna hold that against him. In my opinion, this is the kind of guy teams should be drafting. Long wings that can guard multiple positions, shoot from outside, and a bonus if they can create their own shot and finish around the rim. MPJ checks all those boxes. The big men in this draft are getting a lot of hype, but I’d rather trade down a few spots and take a swing on Porter. Rating 86

Deandre Ayton – Deandre Ayton is a specimen, that’s for sure. Not a lot of 7 footers can move like he does. Had a pretty good season numbers-wise in college. You know who also put up similar numbers? Michael Beasley. This guy’s defense is a joke, showing virtually no IQ or effort on that end of the floor. He may end up putting up 20 and 10, but it’s going to be for a bad team and the numbers will only help your fantasy team. He doesn’t make his team better and I get a vibe from him like he thinks he made it already. I mean Puma? Really? I want a guy who’s gonna grind and get better. I think he seems content right now. I would NOT draft this guy number 1. Having said that, there aren’t many players in this draft that have All-Star potential. He certainly has that, but I just don’t see him being anything more than Demarcus Cousins. Rating 85


Mohamed Bamba – La la la la la la bamba is getting a lot of hype about being able to shoot from 3. I don’t know man. All these big men think they’re Chris Bosh, but I think Jaren Jackson is probably the only one who may be close. Bamba is a bit of a stick figure, but I think he will be a good rim protector. How could he not? All he has to do is hold his arms up. I think he will be a fine starting center, but I don’t see him ever hitting say 35% of 3s in a game format. Empty gym 3s are much different. Even I hit a few of those. Rating 82

Marvin Bagley III – The kid dominated college, but I thought he would be a different player. The fact that his wingspan is just 7 feet really sours me on him and explains why he wasn’t better on defense. I really don’t get the fascination with these bigs that can’t shoot from outside and can’t defend or switch. Now Bagley does have decent form and he may end up being just decent from spot up 3s, but he’s always going to be a below average defender. Him and Ayton to me are similar in that they may put up numbers, but won’t help their team overall. Having said that, I think Bagley is a much harder worker than Ayton and has potential to evolve, however he has longer to go than he thinks. Rating 81

Mikal Bridges -  = Otto Porter. 3 & D guy. Fits on any team. Would be better on a team closer to making the playoffs. Easy. Rating 81

Miles Bridges – A nice role player for any team. Freak athletes that can shoot 3s are valuable and you have to love his competitiveness. Hopefully he doesn't get burned. Rating 80

Trae Young – Maybe the best offensive player in the draft and most offensive hair because it looks like that was the hair he was born with and never got a haircut. Also the worst defensive player in the draft. The comp I haven’t heard yet that I think is most likely is Isaiah Thomas, the new one. Thomas had to be routinely hidden on defense and that matters in the playoffs. Same for this kid. Shooting though, is at a premium and he can launch off the dribble from distance. I like Trae Young as a guy that can maaaaaybe be a bottom-10 starting PG, but I really like him as a microwave off the bench that can jack up shots. I don’t think there’s a PG in this draft that will be a top-20 PG, but Young can at least stretch the floor and pass well. Rating 79

Kevin Knox – Knox looks likes a bobblehead with that giant noggin attached to his little body. I have mixed feelings on him. He thinks he’s a 3, but I definitely see him more as a 4. The shooting stroke looks good and I actually think he will be able to hit shots from 3 and play decent defense. His range will never be as deep as his forehead wrinkle though. This guy needs botox already! Could be a solid starter, but never sniffing an All-Star team like some people seem to be hyping. Rating 78

Wendell Carter Jr. - What’s up with all the juniors in this draft. They have some unoriginal vain papas. Mr. Wendell is getting some hype as the draft draws closer. I am a lot less impressed. Could be David West minus the toughness in a best-case scenario, but the toughness and grit is what made West a really good, not great, player. Carter seems like a little bit of a bitch. I see him as a serviceable big man, but nothing better than your 5th guy and probably not worse than your 8th. Also, he has one of those gross beards, which I just hate looking at. Shave man. Rating 78

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander – I liked what I saw out of Shai for the most part at Kentucky. Has a smooth game and did a decent job running the offense. The jump shot looks as bad as MCW’s when he came out and I see a lot of MCW in Shai. People projecting that shot will be average are dreaming. This is an especially weak PG crop, but I have to say I think SGA will probably just be a backup ball handler who tops out at what Shaun Livingston is now. Rating 76

Collin Sexton  - Aside from a cool name, I don’t think he will have a big impact in the NBA. PGs that can’t shoot seldom do unless you pass like Rondo and he does not. I think he has drive so he can be a serviceable ball handler, but shouldn’t be starting for any good team. These guys are a dime a dozen. Rating 75

7 comments:

  1. **EDITORS NOTE: I DID NOT EDIT

    This seems like it was a bit rushed. I think you could have watched a little less tape and put a little more effort into your rankings. 0 bold predictions...unless you want to say Doncic being the best player is one ::facepalm emoji:: ::yawn emoji:: ::eggplant emoji::. You had 0 burns in here. What keeps me coming back are the digs and I am very disappointed here. You made fun of nobody. No Bobby being bald jokes, Goldenstein being jewish or cheap or short, Reminds me of when Soder got a gf and quit our swee-swee-sweeeeet music blog we had going.

    Here's a bold prediction...Worst burn of the draft predicitons:
    "Trae Young – Maybe the best offensive player in the draft and most offensive hair because it looks like that was the hair he was born with and never got a haircut." ...Also, his hair looks like if you were to roll a lollipop on the ground of a barber shop.

    What's your obsession with hating guys because their "defense is a joke" and how some "can't defend". There are so many bad defenders in the league that are also great players, i.e. MVP Steph Curry and soon-to-be-MVP James Harden. There will always be your Gobert's, AD's, Kawhi's, and ~I hate using him but~ Draymond's but at this point, being a good defensive player is icing on the cake. Give me guys that can play, playboiii. Leave the defense up to the coach to create a scheme that motivates his players, makes them smarter on switches and gets players in the right position. You have to remember, these are 19 year old kids, they can still learn. FOH with all your defense talk.

    ------------------

    Guys I could care less about:
    Luka Doncic - Comes with all the acoloades of being great in the 2nd best league in the world. Well, if it's not the NBA, the league stinks. He may be good, may be bad. Either way, I haven't seen a non-big from the Euroleague ever succeed in the NBA so whatever. And dont @ me about Ricky Rubio because he only started to play after he became Rick and it's been 1 season. Also, Manu is not a Euro. Like I said, dont @ me.

    Wendell Carter - He's an old school player. I like flair ~and I'm not talkin bout Ric. Don't mind the guy but he seems like he is very passive, not a ton of emotion. I'm all about that emotion beb. Just doesn't get me going.

    Mikal Bridges - Meh. I here 3 and D...I see 22 years old. It's apprently a foregone conclusion that he's going to the 76ers and I can't fucking stand them. My disinterest in this guy comes from him going to the 76ers, so I just don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZO MEDINA GROUP aka Could go either way.

    Colin "has" Sex"a"ton - I could see this guy going 2 ways. The Rondo/Westbrook mold of playing his heart out every game. He won't be as good as Russ but god damn he plays hard! Could also see him going the route of Zo's boy Dennis Schroeder where he's so fast that he's always out of control and can't shoot. I hope it's the former because he was really fun to watch play in college.

    Kevin Knox - He's also a passive guy who doesn't show a ton of emotion on the court. He's got the height and length that everyone in the NBA is obsessed with. He didn't rebound much or consistently for a 6'9" dude in college ~which could have been for him playing the 3 and UK just having two 5's playing.

    Trae Young - Fuck it, I think I like this guy. I hope he gets drafted to a team that he can just go play--I'm thinking the Bulls. I think with the Bulls, he could come off the bench as a shooter and get to play with Kris Dunn who is a good defender.

    ------------------

    DRAKE group aka these guys Look Alive

    Ayton - Going #1. Selfishly I want this guy to be a beast. It'll make going to Suns game worth it and the city more lively during the season.

    Mo Bamba - I'd draft this guy with the #1. He's been working out with the same guy as Jayson Tatum. I didn't seem him play a ton over the college year, but I've read a ton of articles and seen a ton of video from him working out hard over the off-season prepping for the NBA Draft. This dude wants to be great and I want in. The dude has a 7'10" wingspan. I don't think I could pass on a guy with a 7'10" wingspan just so I could say I have the dude with the longest wingspan. Also, he works with Jayson Tatum's dude.

    Marvin "T" Bagley - With a nickname like that, I'm surprised Zo isn't all over him ~or under him ;). He jumps out of the gym, he's big ~looks bigger because of his hair, and he plays hard. He had multiple 30 and 10 games. 30 and 10! It seems like he's going to Sacramento, which scares me a little, but I don't care. I like the idea of him and Fox running the floor together. The fact that he's willing to go to Sacramento without a fuss shows that he's got character.

    Miles Bridges - People are sleeping on this boy. Congrats to whatever team he falls to. He was supposed to be a top 5 pick last year. He's being underrated while others are being overrated.

    Jaren Jackson Jr - Been on this guy ~sexually~ for a while now. What makes me nervous is the fact that he wasn't dominant in college and didn't play many minutes per game. Grizzlies would be a good team for him--playing with Gasol and Conley. Also, JJ Sr. played in the NBA so he's got that mindset and knows what it takes to be an successful NBA player.

    ------------------

    CHIEF KEEF GROUP aka Guys I don't like

    Michael Porter Jr. - Too much talk about a guy that couldn't play in college. I warming up to him until the #BobBomb last week. I don't want to draft a guy that nobody liked and someone who couldn't get along with anybody. I bet the kid is Endicott Gary 2.0.

    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - Guys with hyphens in their names never succeed. It's a given. Just thinking of some: former wildcat Michael kidd-gilcrest, michael carter-williams, Kentavious caldwell-pope. Yeah, no thanks on the hyphen. He also has worked out for nobody, can't shoot at all, and I saw him turn the ball over a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BANNER 18 GROUP aka Who I would like the C's to take

    Their pick really depends on if they think they can/will resign Smart. If they think he's coming back htey have a backcourt rotation of Kyrie/Smart/Rozier/Jaylen.

    Mo Bamba

    Grayson Allen - Why the fuck not? He is who we think he is, and I don't care. I think he'd be a good addition to the C's and somebody that could come in and contribute right away. He's not the best player but he tries really hard, like Bob, and I'd take Bob as a teammate any day. He's scrappy and can hit the 3.

    Donte Divincenzo - I got the stink from the NCAA Championship game all over me still and it smells spectacular. I hate when that happens! NOTE: I think he's gone by 27, thank god.

    Mitchell Robinson - At #27, I'd take a shot on this guy. 5 star recruit. Legit 7 feet, athletic. I don't think he contributes year 1 but let's get him on the floor running with Kyrie, Tatum and Jaylen. Woah baby!!

    Kostas Antetokounmpo - You'd be a fool to not use a late 1st on this guy. He'll probably suck butt, but you'd have instant good cred with Giannis and Kostas' contract will still have a year left on it when Giannis is becoming a FA. Just saying.

    Any sort of long guard who likes to defend.

    NOTES:
    - I hope the C's somehow get a late 2nd in this draft. Could use another end of the bench, 2-way player on the cheap. If they don't resign Smart, I wouldn't mind jevon carter.
    - Can all the NBA teams band together and not sell a 2nd round pick to the Warriors, WTF!
    - I hate Lavar Ball, but I hope that LiAngelo gets drafted. Would be way more entertaining to see him get drafted and listen to Lavar say I told you, LiAngelo is big baller...then him be stuck sucking in the G League.
    - Whoever the 76ers pick, he'll be injured the entire year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright per usual I’m the only one who comes out with real bold takes. I’d say I’m easily the most accurate scout on this blog. On a nondraft related note I’ve already been dreading the drama that is going to be happening over the next couple of weeks. Will he stay? Will he leave? Is he going to visit? Golden just buy your damn plane ticket home for the summer and stop with this annoying game. Your mom already told me she would buy your flights. Now back to the draft… Now last year I raved about the draft class. I thought it was the best one in a long time, and I proved to be right. This year though… I think this class stinks. Also I don’t think the Celtics make any major move.

    These are the only guys I had a chance to scout thus far… I also ranked them in order on how I like them but of course everyone knows a lot of it has to do with what type of situation they get drafted into.

    Jaren Jackson: I’d take him number 1. I think he’s a great fit in todays NBA. I know the Suns will pass, and the Kings are too stupid to draft him. Atlanta might not be a horrible spot for him. Could be the biggest name in Atlanta since Josh’s boy J-Smoove.

    Ayeton: I wouldn’t draft him number 1. Much like Lorenzo with his 2018 draft post, I just don’t think this guy has the heart/passion for the every day NBA grind. He’s obviously going to the Suns but they better surround this guy with a lot of veterans. Also if I’m the Suns I ship out Chriss or Bender. This team is going to be back in the lottery for at least the next 3 years unless they deal some of these assets for a real NBA player. I don’t think this guy ever makes a 1st or 2nd All NBA Team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bagley: In November Lorenzo was calling this guy the next Duncan. I told Zoey to sit down. This guy will put up empty stats for anyone of these top 6 teams. I wanted to continue to bash him but Coach K loves this guy so I think he will be a 1st team all rookie guy.

    Sexton: LOVE Sexton. I think he will be a very good PG but there are already so many good PGs out there. If the Clippers pass on him with the 12th and 13th pick they are going to regret it. As will a couple other lotto teams. Great last name too.

    Donic: This guy has got to be paying Bill Simmons some $ since all Simmons and the entire ringer staff do is gush about him. So naturally of course Lorenzo copies the ringers take. I was going to bash on Donic but I do like his passing ability. I think he could have a good career but I don’t think he will be elite.

    La la la la la la Bamba! (Zoey stole this name from me): Golden LOVES this guy. Keeps raving about how he works out with Tatums guy. It looks like this trainer also trains with noddle arms Brunetti. Bamba would be on that long list of guys I beat on McGoverns bach party in Vegas in arm wrestling. I can see this guy riding the pine more than I did in college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendall Carter: Did a lot of scouting on this guy… And by that I mean I looked at his name and photo. I think he will be a solid big and will have a long NBA career.

    Trae Young: This guy will be a GREAT player in Europe in a few years. I think he’s a walking turnover. Only chance he has at succeeding if he gets drafted by a lottery team is if its Cleveland or Philly. This guy is closer to Shane Larkin than Steph Curry. If you are getting beaten by a dude like EC Matthews in the NCAA tourney you don’t deserve to be a lottery pick.

    Michael Porter Jr: I saw this guy play in the Nike Hoops Summit and walked away unimpressed. The injuries scared me off even more. He also just seems about as likeable as Mike Soder these days. I don't think this guy is going to be a top 7 player to come out of this draft. This quote is outrageous
    “Right now, I’m a little, I’m a mix of Giannis and KD. You know, I like going into dudes buttholes a little more than Zo does, I like bumping into people a little more physical than KD. But I also, you know I like to shoot the ball more than Giannis. So that’s what I like to compare myself to. Then also Tracy McGrady. I get compared to him a lot and I like that one a lot too. You know, those are three amazing players. So it doesn’t feel bad to be in the same conversation as them.”

    ReplyDelete