Tuesday, June 26, 2018

2018 NBA Draft Best & Worst Picks


     We have another NBA Draft in the books. No NBA players were traded in this draft, so it lacked a little sizzle, but we did get Luka Doncic's hot mom, Michael Porter calling himself the best pick Denver's ever made, Kevin Knox and his forehead wrinkle getting the NY boooooo treatment, and this great pic of Lonnie Walker and the floating hat trick. There were some surprises and some questionable moves (looking at you PHX for trading away an unprotected pick for Mikal Bridges) so I am going to give my 5 best and 5 worst picks of the draft.

Best Picks

Luka Doncic 3rd overall pick - This one is more obvious than Bobby getting hairplugs in 10 years. Luka's the best player and he fell to 3 and was then TRADED for Trae Young and a pick. Let's all remember when this looks really bad in 5 years that it was really stupid in the moment.

Michael Porter Jr 14th overall pick - I would have to compare how I feel about Michael Porter to Sting. I don't really like anything he says, but I really respect that he's saying it. Could easily be a top-3 player in the draft. The injury risk is a big one and he may have to redshirt this season, but for him to fall this far in favor of future bench guys like Wendell 'I've seen Black Panther too many times" Carter and Jerome Robinson who looks like he could be Greg Oden's older brother, is just ridiculous. Even if he doesn't pan out, you have to take a swing on a guy like this.

Robert Williams 27th overall pick - Best pick of the draft, even with the awful name, the Celtics made out like banditos with Big Bob. Such a perfect fit for them and exactly what Boston needs. I have all the faith in Brad to mold him into another version of Clint Capela. 14 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks a game. This is not the Fab Melo remix babayyyy.

Elie Okobo 31st overall pick - I've got a thing for the Frenchies. I think Josh's dog has a chance to be the best PG out of this class. That's not saying much because I don't really believe that any of them will be a top-15 PG, but Okobo has a chance to be a lower-tier starting guard. Phoenix should give him the keys early and let him and Ayton get familiar.

Mitchell Robinson 36th overall pick - I can't believe the Knicks made a good pick! This is like when Josh connects his bat to the wiffle ball. Everyone has low expectations so you're just happy it happened. The Knicks are not known for their player development, and for a guy who seems super immature, I'm not sure having access to that #nyclifestyle is really putting him in the best position to succeed. I think his best case scenario is him getting cut from the Knicks in 2 years and having to play for his life on another team a la Hassan Whiteside. Let's look back on this pick in 5 years, not 2, to see if it turned out to be good, but this low in the draft, why not take a shot on a guy with his upside.

*Bonus* Best Undrafted Player
Malik Newman - Hellooo Newman! Signed a two-way deal with the Lakers already, which essentially means he's going to be on their G-league team for most of the year, but they can bring him up for a maximum of 45 days during the season. This guy is an athlete who can shoot all over the floor. Had an up and down season for Kansas, but I think he can make an impact on the next level. Could be another Jodie Meeks if he gets an opportunity.

Worst Picks

Deandre Ayton 1st overall pick- Guy thinks he made it already. I stop short of calling him a bust, because I think he will put up some numbers, but they will be meaningless for his team. This guy is a loser and always will be. I get the appeal at around pick 4, but at 1, I'm not touching a guy with a gentle mental.

Jerome Robinson 13th overall pick - I only watched like 2 minutes of him because he was on BC and they haven't been good since Jared Dudley, but I don't see it. Guy says he's 21, but do we know that? Google him and tell me he's as young as he says he is. Here's a guy who won't be getting a second contract.

Grayson Allen 21st pick, Chandler Hutchinson 22nd pick, Aaron Holiday 23rd pick - That's right, I'm calling out a whole trio. Back to back to back busts. Grayson is a little bitch who got worse every year at Duke. Chandler lacks the middle of his first name. Also, he stinks. Aaron Holiday is like the 3rd Hemsworth. I realize comparing the Holidays to the Hemsworths is an insult. Even Ashley Stubbs wants to file a grievance with me.

Sviatoslav Mikhailiuk 47th overall pick - I have watched this kid enough to know that he is softer than the softest ultra soft that Charmin makes. Softer than AJ's #dadbod even though he's not a dad (that we know about). I'll be shocked if he's in the league in 3 years.

That's all I got for this year. Already looking forward to who emerges as the top players in the 2019 NBA Draft, but so far it looks like a race for #1 from two teammates, R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish with possibly cross-town rival Nasir Little getting in the mix (loved what I saw from him in the High School All Star games). What were your favorite/least favorite picks?


3 comments:

  1. As the biggest Celtics fan on the blog, I’m going to say I don't like the Robert Williams pick. I mean sure he’s got a great name and probably a huge dick like every Robert out there but I just don’t think he’s going to contribute much at all. I don’t think he gets a second contract with Boston. Reports I’m seeing is he is only 6’9 plus it sounds like he’s got that Josh Golden IQ. I would be pumped if I’m wrong but look at my Celtics track record.

    Guys I liked when the Celts drafted them:
    Piece
    Walker
    Ben Pepper * Josh LOVED this guy
    Perk
    Big Al
    Tony Allen
    Delonte West
    Smart
    Scary Terry
    Jaylen
    Tatum

    Guys I didn't like
    Melo
    James Young – mainly because Bill Simmons and Josh LOVED him
    RJ Hunter – Because Lorenzo LOVED this guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t help it. I love a good RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bold move calling out the #47 pick in the draft...

    ReplyDelete