Tuesday, November 17, 2020

 


Well here we are at the 2020 NBA Draft, which is being held in mid-November in the weirdest sports years, and life years, of all time. With the season starting in about a month, this is gonna be a quick turnaround for these rooks. I freely admit I didn't watch any college hoops this year because the class seemed uninspiring. I feel vindicated by that especially not having a March Madness and a lot of the top guys not playing in the NCAA or playing 2 games like Wiseman. 

I picked 12 guys to watch film on this year. Below is the 12 guys along with ratings and my assessments. This draft is going to be one of the worst on the last 20 years. It's like a bad vintage of wine, just stay away from it because even the good ones aren't that good. Also, it seems like half the first round is all wiry ass dudes who will never be able to put on more than 10 more pounds. And just as a refresher, here is my rating system. 

Grading System: 1-100

A+/A 100-95 = Can’t Miss Franchise Player. Best Player on championship contender potential. Perrenial MVP candidate. (LeBron/Duncan would have graded as 100)

A/A- 94-90 = Potential multiple All-Star and 1st /2nd team NBA potential. Potential Franchise player. Might be good enough to be best player on championship contender with good supporting cast or be an excellent second banana on championship team (think Harden, Embiid)

B+/B 89-85 = Potential all-star 1-3 times in career. 3rd team NBA potential. Average to Low end second best player on championship contender, high end 3rd best

B/B- 84-80 = Might be 3rd best player on championship contender on high end, solid starter on low end

C+/C 79-75 = Starter on high end, 6th-7th man on low end

C/C- 74-70 = Potential rotation player, quality backup

D+/D 69-65 = Bench filler. Might get a few minutes here and there.

D/D- 64-60 = 12th man. Never seen this dude without warmups on

F 59-0 = Bust on high end, Bobby Thompson at the zero end (pre blowing out his knee on storied crossover)


Ok let's get to this shit. 

Anthony Edwards

I think he’s the best player in this draft. I just watched him critique himself openly and honestly for 22 minutes with Mike Schmitz and the fact that he could do that and know where he needed to improve, I really believed he would improve those areas. This kid has a fire in him that the other top prospects just don’t. Reminds me of Oladipo with shades of Westbrook, with the imposing athleticism (though I think he’s gonna be easier to coach than Russ, because who isn’t). He’s a combo guard at the next level and I think he can be an instant impact guy. The shot is going to take some time to develop as NBA players will dare him to shoot, but I think he’s willing to put the work in. Edwards will be a fun a player to watch and I personally think he can be a low 2nd or high 3rd best player on a championship team. I don’t see him as a perennial all star, but I could see him making 2-3 appearances in his prime and perhaps borderline for his mid-career. Rating 89


Lamelo Ball

These are the guys I used to think would be the best players because I love that flash and I love tall point guards. Lamelo has that for sure. The court vision is right up there with some of the best point guards in the league. Super accurate passes which is an underrated skill. He’s got the Busted Ball shot though, that runs in the family and I frankly think he’s pillowy soft the way he avoids contact. Doesn’t seem to take the game too seriously and while he has a lot of potential, I don’t know that he has the drive to realize all of it. We basically have the closest thing to Lamelo in the NBA already in Lonzo. I think Lonzo was a bit more mature, but Lamelo has a bit more upside due to his ability to break people down. In a normal draft I think he would be worth a lottery pick, but really I don’t see him being more than a point guard in the 15-35 range. He might have the highest upside, but if I had to set a line on all star appearances at 1.5, I’m taking the under. Average to below average point guard who will have some stats like 17-9-6 but shoot 40%FG 70%FT. This damn family is like the Kardashians of the NBA. They just keep popping out more of them. Lamelo is also the next NBA player who never closes his mouth, like Draymond. Rating 84


Tyrese Haliburton

Very interesting game with some definite pluses and minuses. As a shooter, he reminds me of Kevin Martin with the funny release and the lanky frame. Also works off screens in the same way. For sure has to tighten that form up, but just needs tweaking, not a full teardown to rebuild. He’s a much better passer than Martin though, making me think he is a potentially capable starter and at worst a really good backup at the 1 or 2. I like his feel for the game and think he can be one of the better players in this draft. Rating 80


Onyeka Okongwu

Like this kid. Bouncy athlete that is an elite shot blocker. Still needs to get stronger and work on him jump shot, but you can say that about almost any rookie. I’m getting some notes of Serge Ibaka more than I am of Bam. Don’t think he has Bam potential, but could possibly be as good as early Serge. Side note, Bam and Serge both excellent athlete names. Maybe they just call him On, which could be good too. Upside is there for him to be a top-10 pick. I would take him over Wiseman. Rating 79


Killian Hayes

I had to take my French bias out of the picture during this assessment, so hopefully Killian won't hold this against me. I'm down to go to a café with him and eat a pain au chocolat anytime. He seems to have some similarities to Lamelo. Both are tall point guards with good vision who are both lacking fire and intensity. I think Killian can be a solid rotation player at the next level, maybe as good as Evan Fournier, another baguette, but I don’t like his low release on his shot and I am worried about that weak handle and left hand domination. It’s gonna take time before we see whether he can make it or not. He’s pretty young though and seems to have gotten much better each year so maybe he can be a starter in 2-3 years. Not an all star, but there's upside. Rating 79


James Wiseman

A springy 7 footer with low basketball IQ and a low motor. Not a very fitting last name. Dude has that sleepy look and lacks any nastiness. I’m so underwhelmed by him. Sure he has length and agility, but he will only be as good as his mental game gets and I don’t see a bright future there. He reminds me of a chef with all the best ingredients, but can only make an average meal of out them. If a team like Golden State or another team with a good infrastructure drafts him, this will raise his likelihood of reaching his potential in a bigger way than other prospects, but he’s just another guy I don’t see making an all star team and will just be a below average starter, solid backup big. A dime a dozen. Rating 78 


Isaac Okoro

Definitely agree with the Gerald Wallace comps and I think that’s probably his best case scenario. He will come to the league already an above average defender, but he really looks lost on offense. Could easily end up being a Thabo Sefolosha kind of guy who defends another team’s best player, but gets ignored on offense. The shot looks ugly and I would be amazed if he became a league average shooter. Guy is not an all star but another good rotation guy with upside if he can figure out offense. Gotta give him an extra point for the motor though. Can’t teach that. Rating 75


Devin Vassell

Haven’t seen any great comps for him, but I think he’s a player with some upside. The improvement he’s made from his Freshman to Sophomore season certainly points to that. Love his ability to shoot on spot ups and especially love his ability to defend on and off the ball. Really smart on that end. I could see him as a poor man’s Trevor Ariza in the pros. Just not as fluid an athlete. Rating 74


Obi Toppin

This guy terrorized my school, (go Rhody!), for the last two years so I am familiar with him. Already 22 which is hard to ignore, but after watching film on top prospects coming out after their freshman year, you can clearly see the difference in experience. Does a lot of little things well and seems to have a pretty good basketball IQ. The problem is, he’s a wiry guy with below average agility so he’s kind of caught in between positions. I don’t think he’s fast/agile enough to be a perimeter player and he will probably never be strong/tall enough to be a traditional big man. I think his best hope is he turns into some form of Lauri Markkanen. He’s not on the same level as a shooter though and not sure he ever will be. Could be more like a Trey Lyles type or a bit better. I think he can be a rotation guy, not a starter. Rating 74


Deni Avdija

So this is Dario Saric 2.0. I like his game but more as like a mid to late first rounder than a lottery player. Can be a solid rotation player, but isn’t good enough to be a starter. Limited upside from poor shooting and athleticism. Nice haircut though. Rating 73


RJ Hampton

Definitely has Dante Exum vibes with the quickness and explosiveness, but a much skinnier frame and a primadonna attitude. Think Bill Simmons eventually could rename the Dion Waiters award after him because he’s a classic overconfidence guy. I definitely see Jordan Clarkson and some JR Smith in his game, possibly even some Ricky Davis. Definitely has upside but it’s going to take a lot of things to go right for him to reach it, starting with his jump shot. I made a big mistake on the last RJ that came in the league, RJ Hunter, thinking he would be good and I think it's because I was rooting for a good RJ to enter the league after watching the great underrated MTV show RJ Berger. I can see clearly now and I think he more likely ends up RJ Shampton. At the end of the day, aren't we all rooting for a good RJ? Rating 70


Pat Williams

Great frame and looks like an NBA player, but I don’t see anything more than an energy guy off the bench. Classic Marcus Haislip vibes creeping up draft boards with big athleticism, but offering little else. Rating 69


And this concludes another entry that will offer ammunition for the ugly world of cyberbullying. You can't make fun of me unless I see some draft predictions of your own!

9 comments:

  1. Before I get to the draft here is what I want Ainge and my Celtics to do with the 3 1st round picks… Wheel & deal. I don’t want to add 3 more rookies to this team. Also start getting rid of pretty much every bench player. I know you guys say Semi Ojeleye is my body double, but he should not be in the league. I’m already done with Langford. And in 5 year from now I will have no idea who Vincent Poirier or Javonte Geen were. Don’t even get me started on Wannamaker. I still have a slight hope that Carsen Edwards turns into Eddie House…. Get some dogs on the bench. This team was so soft (outside of Smart). I am also very very worried about Kemba’s knee, although I’d still take him on this team over Kyrie. If they go into this season with Wannamaker as the backup PG to Kyrie, be prepared for me to be bitching all year long about Ainge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike Lorenzo I like to be BOLD on my picks. My first bold statement is I do not like this draft in terms of stars.

    Killian Hayes- There is a reason why Sophie married Lorenzo and it’s because French guys suck. Name one famous cool French guy? You can’t! Oh, but what about Tony Parker? That guy sucks too, Brent Barry will back me up on that one. Regardless Killian Hayes is no different than any other French male. He was probably too busy eating cheese, discussing wine and cheering on the Tour De France instead of working on his right hand. Maybe he can get away in Euro leagues being a guard who can’t shoot or go right, but not in the NBA. BUST City! Also to be clear outside of Lorenzo’s wife the French suck.

    LaMelo Ball
    Everyone is saying he is a franchise guy. I just don’t see that. It is really tricky, because I think LaMelo will be end up being pretty good if he goes to Golden State (and if Draymond doesn’t murder him). Or if he goes to a team that has zero stars and it can be the LaMelo show (similar to what Atlanta did with Trey Young). I’m surprised his Dad hasn’t demanded him play for a specific team yet. I do see him dominating the rookie all-star game and prob being a top 5 guy for rookie of the year. I just wouldn’t want him on my team.

    James Wiseman- When I watched him in the Nike Hoop Summit he reminded me of DeAndrea Jordan. I think he is going to have a similar career regardless of where he ends up. It may take him a year to get going, but I think he will be a very good NBA player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyrese Haliburton- I loved everything about this guy, and he would be someone I would want the Celts to move up and get… Then I saw his shooting form (insert Homer Simson backing into bushes gif). Come on, can’t have that kind of form and be a star in the league. Thompson prediction: Ends up being a good veteran bench guy.

    Obi Toppin- Everyone keeps gushing about how he is the next Al Horford. Except this guy… I see him more of a Jarred Sullinger type career. Never becomes a real starter (unless he is on a garbage team). Eventually ends up being a bench guy and bounces around the league.

    Deni Avdija- I want this guy to end up a Spur. Unlike Zoey, I’m not really usually into international guys but my sister is Jewish, which by default makes me also pretty much Jewish (that’s how it works right?). Regardless I think he is going to have a good NBA career think more Detlef Schrempf and less Jiri Welsh.

    Cole Anthony- Born in Portland Oregon (this city is a dump now thanks to Democratic leadership). Moved to NYC (another city that is a dump thanks to poor Democratic leadership). His Dad is Greg Anthony who I’ve already said is very sharp. I think he will be a safe pick for the 15-23 range. If the Celtics draft him he will prob end up starting 30 games next year for them. Will end up having a career similar to Austin Rivers.


    RJ Hampton- I hate that I agree with Lorenzo on anything but RJ is going to stink. I see a Nick Young type career. Stay clear Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nico Mannion
    Last year my guy was Tyler Herro and we all know how that turned out. This year my guy is Nico Mannion. Most drafts have him going in the second round right now. But not on my board. I LOVE NICO. In 2019 I was courtside during the Nike Hoop Summit game. Initially I was making fun of how goofy he looked, and said Cole Anthony was going to murder him. I stopped making comments when I realized his mom and a family member were sitting right in back of me (in worse seats than me). But within 5 minutes Nico took Anthony and the entire US team to the Woodshed. By the last 10 minutes of the game, it felt like Rocky IV when the entire Russian crowd started turning on Drago and cheering on Rocky. Here I was (Mr. USA) and I was rooting for the international team to win because of Niko. I can’t believe he is slipping this low in mock drafts. I’m not saying Nico is going to be an all star, but at the very least he is going to be a hell of a backup PG and play in the league for over 10 years. Think Chris Herren but without the drug problem. I’d love for the Celtics to steal him late in the first round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also obviously those players are listed in no particular order~

    ReplyDelete
  6. The love of my life aka The Cels~:
    Who knows what they will end up doing here. Does GH walk? Does he opt out for nothing? Sign and trade? Opt out and sign long term? They have 3 picks in the 1st round and, unless they draft and stash a few fellas, they can't use all 3...nor do I want them to. There just isn't enough room. I would like for them to keep Gordon and go for it.

    I don't hate the idea of a couple draft and stash guys with #26 and #30, but that's not Ainge's style. This team is too good and too close in the East to not get a true playa for real. Either way, I think the Cels~ can get a decent bench guy at 14, not a star. 3 and D guy would be ideal.

    Guys I'll be happy to get with:
    #14
    - Vassell
    - Nesmith
    - Jalen Smith
    - Saddiq Bey

    If they keep #26/#30
    - Cole Anthony: Can only hope he'll be as sharp as his dad
    - Theo Maledon: Great size for a PG. Boys with Tony Parker, which has to be worth something.
    - Aleksej Pokusevski(had to copy and paste this name): Stash project.
    - Desmond Bane: Good shooter
    - Xavier Tillman Sr: Love seeing a dude come out of college a senior. Shows he is mature.
    - Jaden McDaniels: He needs to pick up the passion and intensity, but he could turn out to be a good 3 and D guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go away, please:
    LaMelo Ball. I'm still sick of this family. I hope he ends up on the Knicks. Nobody caaaares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it's draft day, and it obviously doesn't feel like it at all. Per usual, i'll throw out some guys I like and don't like who are projected to be at the top of the draft. Then i'll give my 2 cents on the Cels~.

    A lot to unpack here since all the rumors and talk about this draft...experts are saying it's going to the best draft since 2000. HA!

    Fan:
    James Wiseman. What can I say, I'm old school and a sucker for a big. We don't have too much information on him as a player since, ya know, he played like 2 games in college. What we do know is that he's big, long and athletic. I think him being drafted by the warriors is a dream scenario for him and he will be a problem. He'll be great in th epick and roll with Steph. He'll be free to go after shooters on the defensive end with Draymond. He'll have 0 pressure. Worst case for him is ending up on the Hornets where he'll have to be the guy right after. No matter where he lands, I think he'll end up being a good player in the NBA and one of the better players from this draft class ~which may not be saying much.

    Okongu - I like this guy. I think he's in the mold of a serge ibaka and will continue to get better. If the C's trade up, I hope it's for this guy and not the Ball kid.

    Deni Avdija - my dog, my brother, my achi. I'll be rooting hard for this guy -- just like I did for Omri Caspi. He's a guy that can play multiple positions, shot create for others and create his own shot...just nto sure if he'll knock them down. His FT% is a huge red flag. Let's go Deni!

    Isaac Okoro - ATL should snatch guy up to play next to that defensive sieve, Trae Young. He'll be a lockdown defender and he's gritty.

    Tyrell Terry - A little undersized, but a good shooter. Wouldn't mind this guy on the C's, coming off the bench with energy and shooting. Read an article about him, and this kid wants it. I hope he doesn't turn into Cameron payne 2.0.

    ReplyDelete

  9. See-saw:
    Anthony Edwards - ~Unlike Zo, This guy is tough for me to get behind. He a strong dude and could play bully-ball in high school and a little at Georgia, but he's stepping into a mans league. I don't love his passion for the game, his 3pt shooting or his FT%. Looking at his numbers from college, he would have these great games, and then disappear. Can't see this guy being a star. I'm more on the downside because of all the hype.

    Tyrese Haliburton - I have never seen this guy play and didn't look him up on youtube. Just something about Iowa State that gives me 0 interest. What I have heard and read about this guy is that he's in the mold of an SGA. Big, lengthy, and a great basketball IQ. I think he'll be one of the better players from this draft in 2-3 years.

    Patrick Williams. Although he's a little bigger, I can see him being like an OG Annonoby type player. Energy on the defensive end from the jump, while the offense will take a few years to come to him.

    Kira Lewis - A youtube search on this guy and you can tell he is too out of control to run a team right now. I do like his FT%, so many he can turn into a solid 3pt shooter in the league.
    Not a Fan:
    Whoever is draft by the Knicks. I already feel bad for them.

    RJ Hampton. Unlike Zoey, I'm no sucker for an RJ. I disliked the move to go play in the Australia/NZ league. Reading reports, he wasn't anything special over there, and then got hurt. Yeah he's a young dude playing with grown men -- but he went over there to increase his draft stock and it didn't work. I don't care much for him.

    Precious Achiwa - Awful shooter. He's not made for todays NBA. More in the mold of a montrez harrell type guy. Big and strong, will bring energy off the bench. Regular season warrior, but a dud in the playoffs.


    Late Sleepers i liked in college:
    - Immanuel Quickley. I think he can stick on a roster as a mid-2nd rounder.
    - Jordan Nwora. Louisville produces solid NBA players. I think he'll be a good bench shooter.
    - Udoka Azubuike. He got better every year at Kansas. Will never be a shooter, but he could be a reliable big off the bench.

    ReplyDelete